Hi! I am Deepti , the voice behind IndianKitchenandSpices.com.
I am mom to a beautiful girl and a little boy, wife to a wonderful man and an engineer by profession.
For almost 20 years my life, I dreaded cooking and didn’t always look this happy in the kitchen 😉
Even though I have been surrounded with Indian spices and food since I can remember, it was still hard to learn cooking. During the initial days I dreaded identifying all the spices and lentils and often used one in place of the other.
Being born and raised in North India and getting married to a South Indian did not help either as the cooking spices and blends are completely different. The struggle was real!
Eventually, we moved overseas and there was no option left but to take this Indian cooking bull by the horn. I decided to take the plunge and start from the basics.
There was no looking back and I quickly started enjoying what I dreaded the most. The same ingredients that I was scared to identify became my friends and building blocks to a delicious dish.
As of writing this, I have been cooking for 12 years and can make sambar masala(a South Indian spice blend) in my sleep. Crazy right!
While the internet is filled with Indian recipes, there wasn’t a go to place that would hold my hand through learning to cook and focus on the basics.
I hope this little corner of mine can be that resource for you that I always longed for. It gives you that little nudge to take the plunge and include the delicious flavors in your everyday life.
Welcome to Indian Kitchen and Spices, a place where I passionately share all about
- Decoding Indian spices and flavors
- Indian Cooking Basics
- Creating a Stress Free Kitchen
Indian kitchen and spices is for anyone trying to learn the basics of Indian spices, food and cooking.
Welcome! So glad you are here! 🙂
Few fun facts about me
- I was born and raised in Delhi, India moved to Arizona, USA for 9 years and now reside in Melbourne, Australia
- I am 100% extrovert and my husband is 100% introvert, we learned to make this work
- Me and my husband went sky diving in Dubai, was fun but not sure I would ever do it again
- I am super duper scared of ghosts and start shivering and shouting if anyone even remotely mentions anything spooky